Monday, January 25, 2010

Today I Wondered

Today I wondered…
Why does my yellow Lab sit entranced gazing out the glass door at the squirrel searching for a nut in the herb bed? Does she want to eat it? Does she want to chase it? Or, is she content with her place on the other side of the glass?

And then I wondered…
Why does my freshly turned 8 year old daughter have so much delight about the same squirrel? As she sat to do her math at the kitchen table and yet admitted her guilt so easily by telling me with great joy and wonder of the squirrel’s exact patterns of behavior for the last few minutes…why couldn’t she just do her work?

But more importantly I wondered…
Why is it so easy for me to walk away because it’s just a squirrel? After all, I too have work to do. An imago Dei, made in the image of God, and yet I have no wonder about what my Creator displays before my eyes. He is a brilliant playwright, a magnificent screenwriter, a most wise and creative author, a skilled painter, an amazing sculptor, an exact engineer and all as One who does it ex nihilo, out of nothing. What has turned my wonder sensors to mush or is to impenetrable steel? Open my eyes that I may see your wonderful works and delight myself in You.

No comments: