Friday, January 15, 2010

In the Word in 2010

Here are twelve reasons you need the Word of God in 2010.

The Word Keeps Us from Sin. "How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word." (Ps.119:9) The word of God is a means of grace to guard the way of our lives, to keep us in the paths of righteousness (2Tim.3:16). When we walk according to his word we may live in blamelessness (Ps.119:1) and not shame the name of God or be put to shame in a crooked and depraved culture because of an unrighteous life.

The Word Reveals Wonderful Things About God. "Open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." (Ps.119:18) In the word of God is revealed the names and nature of God. The wonder of his majesty, the display of his power and the comfort of his goodness are revealed in his word.

The Word is a Delight to the Soul. "Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors." (Ps.119:24) The word is a delight because it reveals God as our delight.

The Word Gives Life. "My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word." (Ps.119:25) We are born again by the Spirit through the word of God’s truth. We live in the life of repentance and faith by the word of God’s truth. We live by faith toward the promised eternal life through the word of God’s truth.

The Word Gives Strength. "My soul melts away with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!" (Ps.119:28). There are days of sadness, disparity, and pain for which we sink into a weakened state of fear, anxiety and depression. Sorrow, disappointment, and grief are not alien to the life of the church. And when we are overcome by relationships and situations that carry us in the road of sorrow we feel the weakness that seems to leave us by in the gutter or wandering in the waste places far from the road. But the word of God that assures of who he is, what he has done, who he will be and what he will do is the means of our strength. If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction (Ps.119:92). It is the treadmill that is in use everyday strengthening the heart to trust God in the sorrow, to be comforted by God that we may comfort others, to know the will of God that we may walk in love.

The Word Reveals the Steadfast Love of God. "Let your steadfast love come to me, O LORD, your salvation according to your promise." (Ps.119:41) We may know of the love of God when we see it demonstrated for us in his word. Nothing can separate us from it.

The Word Gives Good Judgment and Knowledge. "Teach me good judgment and knowledge, for I believe in your commandments." (Ps.119:66) In a world of confusion, ignorance and idiocy God is our teacher through his word without government loans.

The Word is Richer Than Gold and Silver. "The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces." (Ps.119:72). What would delight you more this year to get a raise, win the lottery or grow in the knowledge and joy of God through his word?

The Word Makes Us Wiser and Understanding. "Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me." (Ps.119:98)…"Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way." (Ps.119:104)

The Word is a Lamp and a Light for Life. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. (Ps.119:106)…"The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple." (Ps.119:130).

The Word Keeps Our Steps Steady. "Keep my steps steady according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me." (Ps.119:133).

The Word Endures Forever. "The sum of your word is truth, and everyone of your righteous rules endures forever." (Ps.119:160).

Therefore I urge you to read it, pray it, meditate on it, memorize it, hear it preached and taught. Gather around it in your closet, with your family, and with your church family. Make a plan for how you are going to value God’s word this year through the activity of your life. God is your life and he has purposed to use his word in giving you that life. It is not a magic book to make you a better you, but it is the book where God reveals the knowledge of himself, his salvation, and his will. Hold fast to God’s word in 2010 and may he give us his Spirit that we will know and delight in him, his salvation and remain steadfast in his salvation doing his will this year.

No comments: