Friday, January 11, 2008

A First Time for Everything

I remember the first time I rode a motorcycle, falling on the dirt road hurt. I remember the first time I shot a shot gun, my shoulder was sore. I remember the first time I took the Lord's name in vain, the bar of soap tasted terrible. I remember the first time I preached, those poor parishioners. But I do not remember the first time I blogged because this is it.

I have enjoyed taking part in reading blogs over the last several years, but now I have decided to weigh in on this experience as a writer and reader. I do not begin to embark on this activity with premonitions of a name for myself or with the idea that anyone will benefit from reading but I do want to be more of a participant in the blog world rather than a mere spectator. So as I begin I suppose that I must weigh in on some important issue or thought at present.

I will begin by weighing in on what inspired me to jump in as a participant. I received an email from a friend in Columbia South Carolina who linked me to some encouraging thoughts from a blogger he had read. I ventured on to the link and was delighted. I was delighted to find the name of the blogger a familiar one. He was once a pesty jr. high kid in a youth group I lead. Then he was a rebellious teenager I pleaded with to trust Christ and later a help to our youth ministry as a young man through his gifts in music. I was also delighted to find what the topic of his writing. He was writing on a Biblical view of the fourth commandment as fulfilled in Christ and still binding on the church today. Through a blog I have had the delight to see the glorious grace of God at work in a young man's life who many gave up on years ago. I have lost touch with this young man due to my own neglect in the realm of relationships, but now through this medium I have been brought back into his life but more importantly into the realm of our Lord's redemptive work through Christ.

Therefore, I will begin this effort of writing blogs that somehow through this medium God may be glorified in whatever he gives me to do in a day, whether it be reading or writing.

1 comment:

Nicholas T. Batzig said...

Jim,

I am indeed that pesty junior high schooler redeemed by the blood of Christ. Thanks for the encouragment. Its easy to forget what you where after years of knowing the Lord. The Lord says, "Listen to Me, you who follow after righteousness, You who seek the LORD: Look to the rock from which you were hewn, And to the hole of the pit from which you were dug."

I will add your blog to my blogrole and hopefully we can stay in touch. Thanks again, Jim.

Nick