Friday, March 28, 2008

Wisdom for Parenting in God's Grace

The tongue of the wise commends knowledge,
but the mouths of fools pours out folly.
- Proverbs 15:2

Wise parents are called to commend or entrust knowledge to their children (Deuteronomy 6:6; Ephesians 6:1-2) that they may be built up for the end of the law, which is love (Deuteronomy 6:4-5; Matthew 22:37-40). Foolish parents live and speak as though there is no God who commands love and their children run to death in the follies of their parents. The fool says in his heart, “There is no God”. Therefore, there is none who does good. (Psalm 14:1). The foolish parent who says this in his heart lives this in his life, for his heart is turned away from God in the fear of man and runs after the strength of man, and after him his children run to their misery and destruction.

Where are the wise parents of the day? They are the fools of the day. They are the fools for the sake of Christ, but their children are wise in Christ. They are the weak in Christ, but their children are the strong in Christ. They are those in the community who may be held in disgrace for the sake of Christ but their children in honor. They are those who will sleep not, and go without the latest fashions, those who will live simply, and labor to put bread on the table and Godly knowledge in the heads and hearts of their children. They are those who when reviled bless and when afflicted endure and when slandered pray. They are parents who will become nothing in humility to be fathers and mothers leading their children to the knowledge of God in Christ through the gospel. (1Corinthians 4:10-16). These are the wise parents who lead their children to Christ in the gospel where they are found by God and He gives them new life, and in that life love to Him and those who are near to them.

Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. (Matthew 12:34). The heart of the parent that is turned to the One True and Living God will speak of the knowledge of God in all things. Their children will know that everything is from Him and through Him and to Him for His glory in the earth and the heavens (Romans 11:36).

If I watch my son lose a baseball game 24-7, how do I speak during and after the game commending the knowledge of God to my son and my other children who are with me? If I yell from the stands at the umpires for seemingly “bad calls”, if I yell at the players for watching the third strike go by, if I yell at them for foibles in the field, or if I yell at them because they are dragging around the field like the “Bad News Bears”, what am I displaying is in my heart? I have participated in this foolishness, and when I do I display my unbelief. Therefore when I go to games I pray continually, I look for someone to share the gospel with, and I seek to only speak that which will encourage and build up that fits the occasion (Ephesians 4:29) before and after the game. The reason I do this is because God has shown me His greatness and majesty that rules over all, even a 24-7 loss. Therefore, my aim becomes how can I encourage my son to do all that God has given him to do for the glory of God (1Corinthians 10:31) by trusting Him, praising and thanking Him, and being obedient to Him before, during and after a game. I want my children to learn to abide in the love of Christ, following Him in the way He commands and leads them by His grace, so that His joy will be in them and that their joy may be full in Him.(John 15:9-11). When I seek my joy in the performance of the umpires, players and the score, then I lead my son in the way of foolishness, and I have had my share of this foolishness. But when God gives me the grace and my heart is turned to Him in love then I find Him to be my joy and my children also follow with me in this joy. So whether we win or lose playing our best players we do this in way that God may be glorified in us.

Wise parents commend the knowledge of God and the true knowledge of man to their children, and in this they lead them in the pathway of the knowledge, righteousness and holiness of God.

No comments: