Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Advent, An Ardent Waiting

17Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
19GOD, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer’s;
he makes me tread on my high places.


- Habakkuk 3:17-19

For what are you waiting on this Christmas? While reading through complaints of Habakkuk over the last several days I found myself caught up in similar prayers before the Lord as I long for his appearing. Here are some things I am waiting on this Christmas.

How long will violence come upon the unborn? “Destruction and violence are before me” (1:3). I long for his appearing that violence and unrighteousness will be put under his feet and unborn children will be met with peace and not the sword.

How long will the wicked shed the blood of the righteous saints in the earth? “For the wicked surround the righteous; so justice goes forth perverted.” (1:4). I long for his appearing that my brothers and sisters who are persecuted unjustly throughout the world will see the Son of Righteousness and the Prince of Peace as he triumphs over their enemies.

How long will unrighteous rulers pervert the ways of justice and practice deceit for their own glory? “You who are of purer eyes than to see evil and cannot look at wrong, why do you idly look at traitors and remain silent when the wicked swallows up the man more righteous than he?” (1:13). I long for his appearing that his kingdom would come and his will be done here on earth as it is in heaven as righteousness and peace reign in the nations.

How long will so many in the “church” believe and live as though their works plus Christ’s work merit salvation? “The righteous shall live by faith” (2:4b). I long for the glory of Christ in all his works of righteousness to shine in the hearts of the church so that she will glory in Christ alone for salvation.

How long will man live for his own glory treating his neighbor with contempt and injustice? “Because you have plundered many nations, all the remnant of the peoples shall plunder you…Woe to him who gets evil gain for his house, to set his nest on high, to be safe from the reach of harm!...Woe to him who builds a town with blood and foundsa city on iniquity” (2:8, 9, 12). I long for the appearing of our Lord when, “The earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.” (2:14), and man lives in love and humility before God and his neighbor.

How long will man live for the worship of idols which causes those around them to suffer for their unrighteousness? “What profit is an idol when its maker has shaped it, a metal image a teacher of lies?” (2:18). I long for his appearing that darkness and lies will be cast out in the light of his glory revealed, and those who trust in him will live in his light seeing him as he is and being light to those around them.

How long will the church lightly worship God? “But the Lord is in his holy temple; let all the earth keep silence before him.” (2:20). I long for his appearing in the glory of his holiness before his church that there may be weight and glory to her worship and work.

How long will the church wait for reform and revival where she longs for his appearing in her worship and work? “O Lord, I have heard the report of you; and your work, O LORD, do I fear. In the midst of the years revive it; in the midst of the years make it known; in wrath remember mercy.” (3:2). I long for God to revive his church in Christ by the Spirit through his Word that worship and work will be for his glory in repentance and faith and the glory of his name spreads through righteousness, joy and peace in the communities of the earth.

When we were children we wore out the pages of the Sear and Roebuck catalogue at Christmas time longing for the appearing of gifts under a tree. But now we must search the pages of the Scriptures waiting in the Spirit in prayer for the appearing of the glorious Savior. While we wait when the seed is in the earth dying and there is no fruit on the vine, “yet I (we) will rejoice in the LORD; I (we) will take joy in the God of my (our) salvation.” (3:18). Why? We know he is in his holy temple and from above the heavens he does whatever he pleases in the earth. Therefore we will wait for his advent, his coming, for he has come and he is coming again.

No comments: