Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Prudent Acts with Knowledge

I have made it a discipline to read a chapter in Proverbs each day according to the day of the month. In doing this I hold fast to God’s promise in Proverbs 13:13 “Whoever despises the word brings destruction on himself, but he who reveres the commandment will be rewarded.” I long for the reward of knowing God and his will so that my soul is satisfied in him in all that he is for me in Jesus Christ. But as I have considered this promise, will be rewarded, with the condition, revering the commandment, I am struck with the necessity of not only reading, meditating and studying the word, but acting upon it.

The writer of Proverbs confers with this when he says, “In everything the prudent acts with knowledge, but a fool flaunts his folly.”(Pr.13:16) To revere the commandment is to treasure it and act upon it, doing what it says. And so those who are wise, fearing God as he reveals himself in his word, act by applying wisdom to life. Therefore the Christian must act and when he acts he will either flaunt his folly because he is not growing in the knowledge of God through his word, or he will reflect the glory of God in his acting because he is being renewed in his whole being by the knowledge of God through his word. By the grace of God we must not only be hearers of God’s word but doers (Jas.1:22).

No comments: